Core of Knowledge Trainings for Maryland Child Care Providers
Stephanie Schaefer is an MSDE-approved Trainer for Core of Knowledge (COK) trainings and Continued Trainings in Maryland. Stephanie also works as a preschool teacher and as a consultant to nonprofit organizations. (See Stephanie’s bio.)
Trainings Stephanie currently provides:
- Making a Difference for Young Children: Public Policy Advocacy – (3 hours, COK, Professionalism). How can early childhood education professionals educate policymakers about the importance of child and youth care services? This introductory training will define advocacy and identify key considerations for child care professionals in communicating effectively with policymakers to advocate for children. Participants will identify their own skills and determine how these skills align with advocacy strategies. Approval Number CKI-155685.
- Making Access Happen: Developmentally Appropriate Practice – (6 hours, COK). Provides training in four topic areas: developmentally appropriate practice; positive guidance of behavior, forming positive relationships, and physical environment for developmentally appropriate practice. Training content is described further here: http://olms.cte.jhu.edu/mah-learning.
- Basic Health and Safety – (5 hours, COK, Health, Safety, Nutrition) Fulfills new MSDE requirement. Beginning on July 1, 2017, this workshop is required as pre-service training for all childcare center staff, including directors, teachers and aides, as well as home day care providers. Learn about basic safety and health guidelines for both indoor and outdoor areas.
- Early Learning Assessment – (12 hours, COK (8 hours Professionalism, 4 hours Child Development) The Early Learning Assessment (ELA) is a formative assessment tool designed by the Maryland State Department of Education to assess children ages 3 – 6. Successful completion of this training enables FREE access to this tool for Maryland educators. Educators who complete this training before October 30, 2017 may be eligible to receive a $100 stipend per person to help pay for the training.
The ELA is based on research-supported Learning Progressions that are aligned to early learning standards. Formative assessment using the ELA is intended to be a ongoing process through which early childhood teachers collect and use assessment information to tailor instruction to the individual needs of each child. This training focuses on formative assessment, observation, and use of the ELA tool.
For more information, contact Stephanie at schaefer.research at gmail.com or 202-656-4504.
New Date: Tuesday, 1/16 – Making a Difference for Young Children: Public Policy Advocacy.
How can early childhood education professionals educate policymakers about the importance of child and youth care services? This introductory training will define advocacy and identify key considerations for child care professionals in communicating effectively with policymakers to advocate for children. Participants will identify their own skills and determine how these skills align with advocacy strategies. Approval Number CKI-155685.
What early childhood providers are saying about this training
When Stephanie offered this advocacy training to family child care providers and child care center staff in September 2017, the participants’ responses to a survey about the training were unanimously positive. 100% of survey respondents who took the training (17 people) said that the instructor was ‘definitely effective’ in teaching this class. (read more in the Advocacy Training Evaluation Summary.)
Their comments on Stephanie as an instructor:
- Very knowledgeable and professional.
- Stephanie is so motivated, enthusiastic person. She brings so good materials. Thanks!
- The presenter was great. She explained very well.
- She has lots of important information.
Additional Training Details
- Training fee: $40.
- To Register, please fill in this form.
- Training Details
- Time: 6:30 pm – 9:45 pm
- Location: Silver Spring Day School Training Institute, 33 University Blvd. East, Silver Spring, MD 20901. Get Directions via Google.
- Core of Knowledge Training. Course ID: SS-04242017-01, 3.0 hours Professionalism, Competency identifiers P.3.B-I.a, P.3.B-N.a.
- Trainer: Stephanie Schaefer, Approval Number CKI-155685.
- Additional location information: Training room is in the basement level of Silver Spring Day School, located in the Silver Spring United Methodist Church, Four Corners Campus. This is a brick church with a white steeple located in the center of the Four Corners intersection of Rte 29 and University Blvd. It is across the street from Montgomery Blair High School.
Training Organizations Serving Montgomery County, Maryland
These are MSDE-approved early childhood education and child care training organizations providing trainings for teachers in our area.
more coming soon!
Searchable Site for Trainings
Statewide Clearinghouse of Trainings for Child Care Providers by Maryland Family Network – searchable by location, date, COK area.
On-line Training Resources
On-line Core of Knowledge Trainings
Maryland’s Online Training on the Social and Emotional Foundations of Early Learning (SEFEL) These trainings provide evidence-based approaches to handling challenging behaviors with young children and help teachers create a positive climate and support children’s social and emotional development.
more coming soon!
(Generally, if you secure CEU paperwork to document your attendance, you may include it towards up to half of your clock hours needed for the Maryland Child Care Credential.)
Online Child Care Professional Training Center by Maryland Family Network
more coming soon!
Other Upcoming Trainings
Here’s a compilation of upcoming trainings for ECE teachers in Montgomery County, Maryland, with an emphasis on MSDE-approved trainings. Are you offering a training? Send us the information to schaefer.research (at) gmail.com and we may add it here.
Information Coming Soon!
Disclaimer: information on MSDE approval of trainings is provided by the training organizations and has not been independently verified by Schaefer Consulting. While we strive to provide accurate information, we do not guarantee the accuracy of this training information.